Andrea joined Claro in February 2018. Prior to practising law, Andrea worked as a radiographer in both public and private practice across New Zealand and Australia, so combining her heath sector background with her legal career was a natural step. During her undergraduate studies at the University of Canterbury, Andrea obtained top marks in the medical law paper and always aspired to practise in the health sector.
Andrea began her legal career in the commercial team at Anderson Lloyd, where she advised on a broad range of commercial matters, including residential and commercial property transactions, company, banking and securities law.
At the University of Edinburgh, Andrea continued to pursue her interest in health law. Her LLM dissertation focussed on privacy in telemedicine and, in particular, the extraterritorial effect of the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation on Australian and New Zealand teleradiology providers. In 2019, Andrea was awarded the McLagan Prize for best graduate in the LLM (Medical Law and Ethics).
Based in Christchurch, Andrea advises on a wide range of legal issues relevant to the health sector, including patient rights, health information privacy issues, ACC and treatment injuries, treatment issues including obtaining urgent treatment orders, and complaints against health sector agencies. Andrea has acted as junior counsel in the High Court and before the Health Practitioners Disciplinary Tribunal and as sole counsel in the Coroner’s Court.
Andrea’s experience includes:
- Advising healthcare providers on the disclosure of health information for research purposes.
- Acting for healthcare providers and individual health practitioners in Coroner’s inquests.
- Assisting senior counsel prosecuting and defending health professionals on professional misconduct charges before the Health Practitioners Disciplinary Tribunal.
- Advising on and preparing statements in response to Health and Disability Commissioner inquiries and investigations.
- Assisting senior counsel in the judicial review of a decision of a responsible authority.